Working near or around trams

To ensure that work on or near the tramway is carried out safely, it is necessary to obtain authorisation from us to agree a safe system of work. 

It is a legal obligation to comply with the Authority to Work process whilst working on or near the tramway. 

Want more information?

Email or download our Authority to Work guidance document.

Monday to Saturday 7am - 7pm,
Sunday 11am - 7pm

How do I know if I need an Authority to Work permit?

You can download an Edinburgh Trams guidance document to help inform when you are required to request authority from Edinburgh Trams for any works adjacent to our infrastructure.

How do I get an Authority to Work permit?

To obtain an Authority to Work for works on or near the tramway, please fill in the Works Request part of the Authority to Work form and submit this, along with any necessary method statements and risk assessments to

I’ve applied for authorisation, what happens now?

We may wish to contact you to discuss the submission or to arrange a site meeting. This will automatically be the case if the works appear to require an isolation of the overhead line equipment.

Please note, we require at least three weeks’ notice ahead of any works

Customer Relations & Lost Property: 0131 338 5780

mticket enquiries: 0131 475 0110*

Ridacard & citysmart enquiries: 0131 554 4494*

*Answered by our sister organisation, Lothian Buses.

You can get in touch with us via email. Send your comments to:

For Authority to Work enquiries:

Twitter - We're available to talk to on Twitter 24/7



Text ‘TRAM’ followed by your message to 82228.

You will be charged your standard network rate message.

Edinburgh Trams, Customer Relations, 1 Myreton Drive, Edinburgh, EH12 9GF