Working near or around trams

To ensure that work on or near the tramway is carried out safely, it is necessary to obtain authorisation from us to agree a safe system of work. 

It is legal obligation to comply with the Authority to Work (AtW) process whilst working on or near the tramway. 

Want more information?

Email [email protected] or download our Authority to Working guidance document.

Monday to Saturday 7am - 7pm,
Sunday 11am - 7pm

How do I know if I need an Authority to Work permit? 

If you are working within ten metres of the tramway you may need to apply for permission to Edinburgh Trams to carry out your intended works. 

What is an Authority to Work permit?

An Authority to Work permit is a form issued by Edinburgh Trams to give a person permission to carry out work on or near the tramway. The AtW permit indicates that the person carrying out the work has the permission of Edinburgh Trams to carry out specified works at a particular location and time.

How do I apply for an Authority to Work permit?

After consulting our guidance document, please click here to apply. Requests for a permit for planned works must be submitted 21 days before works is planned to start. 

Customer Relations & Lost Property: 0131 338 5780

mticket enquiries: 0131 475 0110*

Ridacard & citysmart enquiries: 0131 554 4494*

*Answered by our sister organisation, Lothian Buses.


You can get in touch with us via email. Send your comments to: 

[email protected]

For Authority to Work enquiries:

[email protected]


Text ‘TRAM’ followed by your message to 82228.

You will be charged your standard network rate message.

Edinburgh Trams, Customer Relations, 1 Myreton Drive, Edinburgh, EH12 9GF