Edinburgh Tram service still one of the UK’s best

Posted on Monday, 23rd May 2016 at 15:16

The UK’s major independent survey of tram services has found that Edinburgh Trams' continues to receive a ‘very high’ satisfaction rating from it's passengers. The company received a 97% positive rating, compared with 95% last year, remaining 5% above the UK tram operator average.

In the research carried out by Passenger Focus, the top three factors for overall satisfaction were boarding time, journey time and punctuality. Other contributors to ‘very satisfied’ ratings included passenger space, value for money and staff attitude.

Lea Harrison, General Manager of Edinburgh Trams, welcomed the feedback:

The findings of this survey are very encouraging, especially as they are consistent with where we believe our strengths are and in the areas for improvement. We have already introduced a return ticket to improve convenience and reduce waiting times. Our other major priority is to introduce extra and faster services, and we have already begun assessing various options, with the aim of introducing a new timetable before the end of 2016. This feedback is a great reward for all the staff that have put in so much effort to make the trams an excellent way of travelling through the city.

George Lowder, Chief Executive of Transport for Edinburgh, added:

The findings of this latest survey confirm that Edinburgh Trams continues to provide an excellent level of service and is meeting the needs of its passengers. With Lothian Buses also achieving an overall satisfaction rating of 94% and 83% for value for money in last year’s bus survey, Edinburgh continues to provide one of the UK’s leading integrated transport services. This is essential as our city continues to grow.

Councillor Lesley Hinds, Transport Convener and Chair of Transport for Edinburgh, said:

These are outstanding results and everyone at Edinburgh Trams should be very proud to have achieved such impressive passenger satisfaction ratings year on year. The survey demonstrates that the travelling public have really embraced tram travel in the Capital and that trams are now a much valued component in the city’s transport network.

Key satisfaction findings

  • Overall journey: 97% (UK average 92%)
  • Value for money: 82% (UK average 69%)
  • Punctuality: 93% (UK average 86%)
  • Overall stop: 96% (UK average 91%)
  • Journey time: 89% (UK average 87%)
  • Boarding time: 98% (UK average 95%)
  • Passenger space: 89% (UK average 80%)
  • Staff attitude: 92% (UK average 87%)

Edinburgh surveys were carried out from 17 September to 26 November 2015. Passengers were approached while travelling on tram and asked to answer questions about that specific journey. The questionnaire is self-completed, with passengers offered a choice of online or paper. 734 surveys were completed (607 paper and 127 online) for all days of the week from 6am to 10pm.

The survey also questioned tram passengers in Blackpool, Manchester, Birmingham/Wolverhampton, Nottingham and Sheffield.

The full report is available at www.passengerfocus.org.uk